Monday 4 July 2011

Jumping the Shark

When I first started this project one of my chief concerns considering the overwhelming popularity of ordinary bicycles was I going to be the catalyst for it to jump the shark or nuke the fridge. For those who can't be bothered with clicking links jumping the shark or to nuke the fridge is when something that was once great has reached a point where it will now decline in quality and popularity.

Have I done made them jump the shark? Like the Fonz can ordinary bikes continue to rise in popularity?

Recently I tripped and accidentally watched the episode of Happy Days where the Fonz jumped the shark on water ski's hence coining the phrase. It was an education that had me furrowing my brow, clicking my tongue and making mutterings about the youth of today. But nevertheless (is that all one word? I hope it is)... umm where was I?... oh that's right.. some may suggest that ordinary bicycles jumped the shark around 120 years ago but judging by this and this I'd say they were mistaken. As you can also see from this graph as people keep getting bigger

It's inevitable as re-runs of Happy Days that 50 inch wheels are to become the norm as the giants take over. 'Look at my enormous ordinary bicycle, I'm going to find me some tweed undergarments' he is no doubt saying here.

In addition to giants, Bikesnobnyc the sphygmomanometer of bicycle culture says it's on the way up who are we mere mortals to argue. "diamond frames, two wheels of equal size, and non-direct drive transmissions are for nellies and confirmed bachelors. Real men ride ordinaries (whilst wearing tweed undergarments)." are you a nellie, hell no! Even more recently he mentioned ordinary bicycles again

An ordinary in a triumphant pose during a recent critical mass in the U S of Aaa.


Adding to our street cred check this bad boy out, how sweet a ride is this. I'd hate to use a hackneyed phrase like you can see the future today.... so I'll say.... the future is here now...
I believe Your Honor I have confirmed it's place in popular culture with both GNMWC (giant naked man with club) and bikesnobnyc. However not to rest on it's laurels and to keep up with the youth of today I suggest we re badge Penny Farthing/Ordinary Bike/High Wheeler with the far more colloquial term P-Far branding, this will bring it into alignment with such stars as P-diddy who sung such memorable songs as 'Ass on the Floor' and then everyone will get on the P-far train (certainly not related to the P-train). P-far is also GNMWC approved so how can you go wrong.

Yes my friends I have not caused P-fars to jump the shark or to nuke the fridge there is a bright future for P-fars especially if we can get the name P-far off the ground. Or you can sit on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment