Tuesday 23 August 2011

Now with added disclaimer

After last weeks dodgy blog with no discernible point I thought I'd keep to the facts and nothing but the facts so help me Lob *. Tonight I got to class a bit early when one of my learned eager beavers told me about a wooden bike that he was informed that Good King Brett had made was in the library. So being goodie two shoes teacher pets we went and checked it out. It certainly is a beautiful bike.


For those interested here is a close up of the text about the bike.

I assume that is straight from the most reliable source of information in the known universe wikipedia.... I'm hoping there is a class to make it. But I think Brett might consider early retirement rather than have another class with me.

Speaking of information recently (nice segway hey!) I happened upon this sign from my friend bikesnobnyc, I know we are friends as I once emailed him something for his blog and he emailed back that makes us BFF's! 'Email' for those not of the twitbookplus era is sort of like carrier pigeons without the smell.
It's obvious what has happened here. The safety bike propaganda machine is trying to overthrow the strangle hold that p-fars have on the cycling industry. Bikesnobnyc agrees saying "I don't understand German, but I'm pretty sure that says that pennyfarthing riders are not allowed to get rad". Well I won't sit uncomfortably and ever so smugly 5 feet in the air for it! We've got to fight, for our right, to p-far!

So *ahem* back to the blog, we wandered back to class just to find it start off like a lot of other nights with some bike shenanigans. This weeks was EMBR (extreme miniature bicycle riding)

EMBR is poised to be a worldwide phenonmomenen (pretty sure that how to spell it) we are getting in on the ground floor.

Ok so back to p-far building. Well I'd like to say tonight was a stellar night of achievement but it wasn't so instead I'm going to talk about my forks. I spent a lot of time on the weekend and ekka holiday working on my rear forks and frankly I'm sick of them. Here is a photographic history of the forks.

They started out a a bit of pipe cut in half then a reinforced top was brazed on. 

I then cleaned them up and carved out enough space for the wheel a bit with MFTF (my friend the file), MFTPF (my friend the power file) and most importantly MFTG (my friend the grinder)  

I then cut out the inserts and shaped them using the aforementioned devices. 
This was a mock up
  

Then many hours later I got to help braze them together. 

Then they were a mess and needed cleaning one again *sigh*...

Many many many many hours later with all sorts of files, sanders, grinders etc I got a relatively finished product. 
 

All ready for attaching to the frame then paint. 

Easy poesy so they say. But they would be fricken liars.
* Disclaimer there are no facts in this blog it's just my ramblings I'm sorry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment