Sunday 17 April 2011

Bling-bling

Last week I indicated we are on holidays for three weeks while kids play with their cup and balls.Being the mature man about town I am I've taken home three mini projects to keep the bike going.

This weekend I decided to have a go at the brake, in particular the brake shoe. I'm very excited about this part as it'll make the bike road legal and is made of brass which is 'ye olde bling-bling'.

Now all great movies have bling-bling (check out Terminator 2 how much bling does the T1000 have!) but more importantly a montage in them such as Rocky IV, Team America World Police (In this case with a bizarre Harry Potter twist) and Karate Kid, so it's obvious what i need to do create my own montage of part 1 of my homework the brake.

Nothing says bling-bling and inspiration like the Coasters song Yakety-Yak from 1958.

Below is a photo I took in class as an approximate before and after although the brake on the left hasn't been finished.

There is still a bit more cut and polish needed to finish it off but that gives you the idea. I used a combination of a small bit of angle grinder, rotary tools and files. I think I'll need to buy a curved mill file to finish it off in and around the boot of the brake.

As Brett has indicated they are not what you'd call powerful brakes but they will help get your bike under control. Remember when you were a kid putting your front foot on your wheel to slow you down? Yep that's pretty much it. Please enjoy the gratuitous use of bling below as a fitting finale to this weeks post.

Source

Bling-bling out.

2 comments:

  1. No brakes, no gears: the latest bike craze

    Stripped-back cycles popular with couriers are taking London by storm

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2008/mar/09/green

    ReplyDelete