Wednesday 30 November 2011

Big times in big wheel city

Greetings and salutations dear reader. This week heralded a huge week in p-far history in Brisbane the second annual Penny Farthing Stack and parade ride. This is a great opportunity to sit motionless on a bicycle for half an hour whilst keeping your balance fun hey? Well it was so there! It was such a big week I've created not one but two montages to celebrate the other major event a Penny Farthing group ride one of the rare opportunities you get to ride with other p-farofiles. Or what ever they are called.

So first up the stack. Essentially you hold the handlebars of the person next to you and they of yours and you become self supporting. It's kinda scary at first but you do get comfortable with it. It's also quite hard to fall over but I suppose theoretically possible there was lots of mentions of dominoes..... 

Then there was the parade ride into a ripping wind from first avenue to 19th avenue at Sandgate. The return trip was rather pleasant though and a fair bit faster.



The next day we had a social ride through the Boondall wetlands. I got an early Christmas present a Garmin Edge 200 which is perfect for Betty as I don't have to put a sensor on it as it uses GPS just like they would have used the stars for navigation in the 1800's :-) so I can now see how far and fast I ride and plot the route on a map so a lot of fun to be had. The Garmin Edge 200 is the baby of the family so is fairly basic but I *heart* it as the young people would say nowadays. You can see our ride here. I even got up to 21.3Mph on the flat road at Nudgee which was fun. It appears that it measured that ride in miles apparently when mounted to a Penny Farthing it screws the circuits back over 100 years. I could have gone faster if I had the kahunas. (apologies for the poor sound quality, thanks Janine for the extra action shots!)

No comments:

Post a Comment