Tuesday 6 September 2011

Wheely good time

Welcome back friends it's always good to have you come to my little blog. Would you like a cup a tea, a bex and a relaxing time? Well you've come to the wrong place! This week was an action packed pun filled class. I hope you won't be two-tired by the end of it but us cyclists have heaps of wheel-power.

Now of course it wouldn't be a class without some weird stuff happening first. Janine got her handlebars back with brand new shapely pears (handles) and it appeared all her Christmases came at once! So she partook in some EWR (extreme wheel-less riding) around the workshop!

Then Daryl showed us a jig he made to attach the yoke/steering plate to the steering pin. It'll make attaching the two together much more accurate. Thanks Daryl.

Very importantly recently Shane did a fantastic diagram of the parts of our P-Far. Thanks Shane I'm sure my reader will be pleased to know the proper names for the parts instead of the thingy that attaches to the thingy. My copying is a bit rough but you get the idea.


We'd been in an uncomfortable holding pattern for the past couple of weeks, like a wobbly fixie rider track standing at lights in front of a line of traffic unsure when they could take off head first into traffic. But Spoke-Master Brett recognising this had us working together this week like a well oiled chain to build our small wheel. I was so super excited I got spinderella to cut it up one time!

Brett had kindly cut the spokes for the rear wheel to length and put the thread on them. Then it was up to us to build the wheel. Instead of photos with written commentary this week I've curated a photo montage to music. It's just how I roll.





Wow!... I heard you say in your head. But wait there's more! To improve on that I'm harnessing the awesome power of moving pictures here it is just after putting the spokes in.

As a special offer to our readers tonight it may seem like I've gone crazy but we'll even include the next video with music! This offer is only valid for the next 50 readers.
Taa Daa! After spending 2.5 hours going cross eyed over making the wheel true it is mostly there.The lump you might notice is a low spot from where the wheel was joined not much you can do about that.

Ps. If anyone suggests getting a camera that saves video in .MTS file type feel free to calmly take their suggestion then tell them to cram it with walnuts! Unless you enjoy doing the following...
- to play these videos from my Panasonic I had to download a MTS viewer to watch them as the Panasonic software didn't recognise the file type,
- then download an MTS converter to convert into a readable format for those occasions say, when you want to watch it on any other device in the world?
- editing in Windows Movie Maker.
Easy peasy. I think I'll take that bex now.

2 comments: