Tuesday 13 September 2011

Big wheel you are beautiful

Today's blog starts with a multi-guess question

Which class in 'Aaron's top 4 classes he's been looking forward to' did we do this week?
1. The first class
2. The class the bike is together
3. The class where we ride it for the first time.
4. Building the big wheel.

Have you worked it out yet? It's my most fiendishly cunning quiz to date, so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a fox. Don't mind me I'll wait while you think about it......... for those too thick to work it out the answer is at the bottom of the blog.

I was so excited about this class I couldn't get the smile off my face.
Thanks electro smile! The twitching is hardly noticeable, the convulsions on the floor however have been arousing suspicion, I've found since I'm smiling while frothing at the mouth people think I'm joking around...

Now it wouldn't be class without some silliness. This week was Rooke's turn with the mini-farthing I believe he's building for his mini-Rooke. *insert evil laugh*

I recently composed two poem's that may help answer the multi-guess question...
We're on a mission and we're wishin',
someone could cure our lonely condition,
Lookin for wheels in all the wrong places,
Not big wheels just 700c,

Some frustration first inclination,
Is to become a monk and leave the situation,
But every big wheel has a light of hope
.

If you are looking for the rythem to read it to your friends and family try this song for the timing Bust a Move

Whilst I was on a role in baring my soul here is another poem for those interested
I like big wheels and I can not lie,
You other brothers can't deny,
That when a bike rolls in with an itty bitty frame,
And a round thing in your face,
You get sprung.


Also able to be timed to a Sir Mix-alot song. It took hours of painstaking work I guess in all modesty they are so awesome they're multifaceted!

Since I've been playing with My Movie Maker lately this week is another montage. I know, I know, you don't have to tell me it's awesome (and not at all over done) but I hope you enjoy all 40.6 seconds of building the big wheel I've had to reduce the quality to post but enjoy.

So this is how big my wheel is 52.5inches without the rubber.

For those interested we used a 5 cross pattern for lacing the wheel pretty unusual but partly possible due to the nature of the wheel (meaning you go over 4 spokes on the same side then under a spoke on the other side creating 5 crosses I hope).

So the wheel is laced but needs to be trued now so I decided to take it home. One thing I failed to consider when doing this was fitting it into the car. I thought there would be heaps of room. Until I found it'd only just fit one way in the car. I think when I get the rubber on it won't actually fit in the back.(this photo is a bit deceptive the hole for the back door is smaller than the inside)
Oh well that will be future Aaron's problem.
Ps. The answer is number 4- building the big wheel.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Aaron

    Nice work mate , it's a good feeling to get the wheels finished as the rest of the bike will come together quite quickly after that. I have almost trued my 52" front wheel and yesterday I laced up the rear 17" wheel at work , both should be finished by next week and ready for fitting the tyre. The 1st bike I ever build back in 1994 had a 7 cross wheel - I never broke one spoke as it was so strong. The wheels I'm building now are only 3 cross but I might tie the spokes at the crosses on the front wheel later on. tieing the spokes doesn't really make the wheel stronger but if you break a spoke it will prevent an accident.

    Keep up the great work
    Don Speden

    Furumachi Bicycle
    Japan

    ReplyDelete